• Welcome to African Grey's vibrant community - Forum ! We just started this journey, our aim is to build a friendly community for pet lovers.
    Our goal is to foster a warm and welcoming community where you can connect with like-minded individuals, share your experiences, and learn from one another.
    Don't miss out on the fun! Sign up now and join us in celebrating the love and joy our pets bring into our lives.
  • Welcome, this forum isn't exclusively for African Grey Parrots. While this is my primary focus due to personal experience—I had an African Grey Parrot who I sadly lost—in his memory, I launched this website. So, whether you have any type of pet, you're welcome here.
    Everyone is encouraged to read, write, and share knowledge with our forum members.

What is the 60 40 rule for birds?


Staff member
Unraveling the 60/40 Rule for Birds: A Quirky Guide to Avian Quirks!

Hey Parrot Pals!

Ever heard of the 60/40 rule for birds? Let's decode this feathered mystery together! So, here's the scoop: it's a fun little concept that suggests birds spend 60% of their time preening and 40% causing mischief. Yep, you read that right – they're part-time pranksters! 🦜

Now, don't be fooled by those innocent looks – behind those beady eyes lies a mischievous mastermind. From rearranging cage decor to mimicking your morning alarm, these avian acrobats sure know how to keep us on our toes!

The 60/40 rule for birds refers to a guideline for their diet, particularly focusing on the ratio of seed-based foods to fresh fruits and vegetables. According to this rule, approximately 60% of a bird's diet should consist of high-quality pellets, while the remaining 40% should comprise fresh fruits, vegetables, and healthy treats.

This rule emphasizes the importance of providing birds with a balanced and varied diet that meets their nutritional needs. Pellets are formulated to provide essential vitamins, minerals, and nutrients in a concentrated form, ensuring that birds receive the necessary nutrients even if they are picky eaters or selective about certain foods.

The remaining 40% of the diet, consisting of fresh fruits, vegetables, and treats, helps provide additional vitamins, minerals, and fiber while offering enrichment and variety to the bird's diet. Including a diverse range of fruits and vegetables ensures that birds receive a wide spectrum of nutrients and antioxidants to support their overall health and well-being.

It's important to note that the 60/40 rule is a general guideline, and individual birds may have different dietary needs based on factors such as species, age, activity level, and health status. Consulting with an avian veterinarian or certified avian nutritionist can help tailor a diet plan specific to your bird's needs and preferences. Additionally, regularly monitoring your bird's health and adjusting their diet as needed is essential for their long-term well-being.

But fear not, fellow pet enthusiasts! Understanding this quirky behavior is the first step to avian enlightenment. So, embrace the chaos, cherish the feathered shenanigans, and join the laughter-filled flock here at TiktokParrot Forum!

Remember, when life gives you feathers, just wing it! :)