• Welcome to African Grey's vibrant community - Forum ! We just started this journey, our aim is to build a friendly community for pet lovers.
    Our goal is to foster a warm and welcoming community where you can connect with like-minded individuals, share your experiences, and learn from one another.
    Don't miss out on the fun! Sign up now and join us in celebrating the love and joy our pets bring into our lives.
  • Welcome, this forum isn't exclusively for African Grey Parrots. While this is my primary focus due to personal experience—I had an African Grey Parrot who I sadly lost—in his memory, I launched this website. So, whether you have any type of pet, you're welcome here.
    Everyone is encouraged to read, write, and share knowledge with our forum members.

What is a female cat called? Hmmm let's find out

TiktokParrot

Administrator
Staff member

Unveiling the Mystery: What Do You Call a Female Cat?

Hey everyone, welcome back to the TiktokParrot forums!

Today, we're diving into a question that might have you scratching your head (just like your cat loves to do to your furniture): What do you call a female cat?

You might think it's a simple question, but the answer, like many things in the cat world, can be a bit more complex than you might expect. So, let's pounce into the fascinating world of feline terminology and unravel this purr-plexing mystery!

A male cat is called a tom or tomcat. This term originated from a book published in the 1700s called "The Life and Adventures of a Cat," where the main character, Tom, was a male cat.

A female cat can be called a queen or molly.
  • Queen is often used for females, especially those who are pregnant or have given birth.
  • Molly is more informal and generally refers to a spayed female cat, though it can be used for any female cat regardless of spaying status.

The Classic "Queen": Like royalty, female cats in their prime breeding years are often referred to as queens. It's a fitting title, considering the important role they play in raising future generations of adorable kittens. This term is especially common in the world of cat breeding and among breeders who treat their feline companions with the utmost respect (and perhaps a few extra treats!).

The Versatile "Molly": If you're looking for a more general term for a female cat, regardless of her age or breeding status, then molly is your go-to word. It's a straightforward and widely understood term, similar to how "tom" is used for male cats. Think of it as the feline equivalent of calling someone a "guy" or a "gal" – simple and to the point.

The Less Common "Dam": This term, primarily used in the context of breeding, refers specifically to the mother cat. It's not as widely used in everyday conversation, but it's important to be aware of its existence, especially if you ever find yourself discussing cat pedigrees or genealogy.

So, Which One Do You Use?

Ultimately, the term you use to refer to your female cat is entirely up to you! There's no right or wrong answer, as long as it's clear and respectful. If you're unsure, "molly" is always a safe and universal choice.

Beyond the Basics:

Of course, cat lovers like ourselves often get creative with nicknames for their furry companions. From the majestic "Empress Fluffybottom" to the mischievous "Princess Paws", there's no limit to the affectionate and playful names we can bestow upon our feline friends.

I would love to hear from you! What do you call your female cat? Do you have any interesting stories about how you came up with their name? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below! Let's celebrate the diverse world of female cats and the unique ways we connect with these amazing creatures.

If you find this thread/post informative, feel free to share it with your family or friends as it might be helpful to them.

Stay safe!
Cheers​

Back