• Welcome to African Grey's vibrant community - Forum ! We just started this journey, our aim is to build a friendly community for pet lovers.
    Our goal is to foster a warm and welcoming community where you can connect with like-minded individuals, share your experiences, and learn from one another.
    Don't miss out on the fun! Sign up now and join us in celebrating the love and joy our pets bring into our lives.
  • Welcome, this forum isn't exclusively for African Grey Parrots. While this is my primary focus due to personal experience—I had an African Grey Parrot who I sadly lost—in his memory, I launched this website. So, whether you have any type of pet, you're welcome here.
    Everyone is encouraged to read, write, and share knowledge with our forum members.

The Historic Cat: Cherished and Honored for 9,500 Years

TiktokParrot

Administrator
Staff member

A Long and Loving History: Cats as Companions and Deities

Cats have captivated humans for millennia, holding a special place in our hearts and cultures. Their history stretches back over 9,500 years, with evidence suggesting a deep bond even in ancient times.

Early Evidence of a Shared Journey

Archaeological discoveries on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus paint a fascinating picture. A 9,500-year-old grave site unearthed human remains buried alongside a cat, predating known Egyptian depictions of cats by thousands of years. This hints at a potential origin story for cat domestication even earlier than previously thought.

Egyptian Veneration: Cats as Gods and Guardians

Ancient Egypt stands out for its reverence of cats. Egyptians saw them as more than just pest control – they were sacred companions. Cats were often mummified and placed in tombs alongside their owners, a privilege usually reserved for the wealthy. Killing a cat was considered a serious crime.

The goddess Bastet, depicted as a woman with a cat’s head, embodied this veneration. Cats were seen as protectors against rodents and even snakes, further solidifying their importance.

A Continuing Legacy

The deep connection between humans and cats persists today. The vast number of domestic cats in the United States – estimated at over 90 million – is a testament to their enduring popularity.

The grief felt at the loss of a beloved feline companion is real. Pet owners seek ways to honor their furry friends, with companies offering handcrafted memorials and cremation urns.

A Shared Future

As the world continues its fascination with cats, the historical bond between these intriguing creatures and humans serves as a reminder of the deep affection and respect we share.

If you find this thread/post informative, feel free to share it with your family or friends as it might be helpful to them.

Stay safe!
Cheers!​

Back