• Welcome to African Grey's vibrant community - Forum ! We just started this journey, our aim is to build a friendly community for pet lovers.
    Our goal is to foster a warm and welcoming community where you can connect with like-minded individuals, share your experiences, and learn from one another.
    Don't miss out on the fun! Sign up now and join us in celebrating the love and joy our pets bring into our lives.
  • Welcome, this forum isn't exclusively for African Grey Parrots. While this is my primary focus due to personal experience—I had an African Grey Parrot who I sadly lost—in his memory, I launched this website. So, whether you have any type of pet, you're welcome here.
    Everyone is encouraged to read, write, and share knowledge with our forum members.

Will my African Grey talk?

TiktokParrot

Administrator
Staff member
Greys are renowned for their talking ability. Not all Greys do talk though and the age at which they start can vary from a few months to over two years. The average age for starting is often said to be around a year. In birds, the structure that produces sound is not the larynx but the syrinx.

Studies, including those of Irene Pepperberg's with Alex, suggest that sound from the syrinx is then modified by other structures in the avian vocal tract, such as the larynx, and the position of the tongue, movement of the beak and even the tilt of the head, to produce subtly different sounds. Also, the vocal tract may need to mature which is why many Greys don't achieve clear speech until they are over a year old but babble and mumble first.

Greys don't just mimic; they are able to talk in context and correctly name items. They have a tendency to pick up whatever they want to and not necessarily what they hear the most. Sometimes they will repeat a word or phrase they have only heard once, especially if it is said with more emotion than mormal speech, so you do have to be careful what you say around them.

They can also mimic other sounds that they hear such as alarms, water being poured, microwave ovens beeping, creaky doors etc. Some Greys will sound very much like one or more family members but others just have their own voice.

If you find this thread/post informative, feel free to share it with your family or friends as it might be helpful to them.

Stay safe!
Cheers!

Back