• Welcome to African Grey's vibrant community - Forum ! We just started this journey, our aim is to build a friendly community for pet lovers.
    Our goal is to foster a warm and welcoming community where you can connect with like-minded individuals, share your experiences, and learn from one another.
    Don't miss out on the fun! Sign up now and join us in celebrating the love and joy our pets bring into our lives.
  • Welcome, this forum isn't exclusively for African Grey Parrots. While this is my primary focus due to personal experience—I had an African Grey Parrot who I sadly lost—in his memory, I launched this website. So, whether you have any type of pet, you're welcome here.
    Everyone is encouraged to read, write, and share knowledge with our forum members.

What should I do if my parrot is not eating?

TiktokParrot

Administrator
Staff member
Good day friends,
Welcome once again!

If your parrot is not eating, it's essential to take prompt action to address the underlying cause and ensure your bird's health and well-being.
Here are some steps you can take if your parrot is not eating:
  1. Monitor Your Parrot: Keep a close eye on your parrot's behavior and symptoms. Note any changes in appetite, activity level, droppings, or overall appearance. This information can help your veterinarian diagnose the problem more effectively.

2. Check for Signs of Illness: Look for signs of illness or discomfort in your parrot, such as lethargy, fluffed feathers, labored breathing, discharge from the eyes or nostrils, or abnormal droppings. If you notice any concerning symptoms, contact a veterinarian experienced in avian medicine immediately.

3. Offer Appetizing Foods: Encourage your parrot to eat by offering a variety of fresh and appealing foods, such as favorite fruits, vegetables, or treats. Warm foods slightly or offer warm water to increase their palatability. Avoid forcing your parrot to eat, as this can cause further stress.

4. Provide Supportive Care: Keep your parrot warm, comfortable, and hydrated. Ensure access to clean water at all times, and consider offering electrolyte solutions or pedialyte to prevent dehydration. Keep your parrot in a quiet and stress-free environment to promote relaxation and recovery.

5. Seek Veterinary Care: If your parrot continues to refuse food or exhibits signs of illness, schedule an appointment with a veterinarian experienced in avian medicine as soon as possible. A qualified veterinarian can perform a thorough examination, diagnostic tests, and provide appropriate treatment to address the underlying cause of your parrot's symptoms.

6. Follow Veterinary Recommendations: Follow your veterinarian's recommendations for treatment, medication, and supportive care. Administer any prescribed medications as directed and monitor your parrot's progress closely. Keep your veterinarian informed of any changes or concerns.

7. Provide Emotional Support: Offer comfort and reassurance to your parrot during this stressful time. Spend time with your bird, offer gentle petting and soothing words, and ensure they feel safe and secure in their environment.
Remember that loss of appetite in parrots can be a sign of a serious health problem that requires veterinary attention. Do not delay seeking medical care if your parrot is not eating or exhibiting other concerning symptoms. Early intervention can improve the chances of a successful outcome and help your parrot recover more quickly.

If you find this thread/post informative, feel free to share it with your family or friends as it might be helpful to them.
Cheers & Stay Safe!​

Back