• Welcome to African Grey's vibrant community - Forum ! We just started this journey, our aim is to build a friendly community for pet lovers.
    Our goal is to foster a warm and welcoming community where you can connect with like-minded individuals, share your experiences, and learn from one another.
    Don't miss out on the fun! Sign up now and join us in celebrating the love and joy our pets bring into our lives.
  • Welcome, this forum isn't exclusively for African Grey Parrots. While this is my primary focus due to personal experience—I had an African Grey Parrot who I sadly lost—in his memory, I launched this website. So, whether you have any type of pet, you're welcome here.
    Everyone is encouraged to read, write, and share knowledge with our forum members.

Having an African grey parrot, can I go on holiday?

TiktokParrot

Administrator
Staff member
Sooner or later there will come a time when you cannot be at home and need to make arrangements for your African Grey. The earlier your Grey gets used to having someone else look after it the better because they can get very set in their ways and find change stressful.

There are various options – you can take your Grey with you, you can take your Grey somewhere such as a vet or a friend’s house (preferably one who knows about Greys, their needs, and household hazards) to be looked after, or you can arrange for someone to come in. Don’t worry about your Grey forgetting you while you are away, they have long memories and will remember you! Your bird might still be cross with you when you return though.

The first option only works if you know you can take your Grey with you – to a holiday cottage where pets are accepted for example. (Even if pets are accepted you will need to check with the company because sometimes they mean dogs and cats only when they say “pets welcome”.)

If you are going to travel with your Grey it is a good idea to go on short car journeys first to get your bird used to the idea.
If you arrange for someone to come in it is a good idea if they come in a few times before you go so that your Grey can get used to the idea.

If you find this thread/post informative, feel free to share it with your family or friends as it might be helpful to them.

Stay safe!
Cheers!

Back