• Welcome to African Grey's vibrant community - Forum ! We just started this journey, our aim is to build a friendly community for pet lovers.
    Our goal is to foster a warm and welcoming community where you can connect with like-minded individuals, share your experiences, and learn from one another.
    Don't miss out on the fun! Sign up now and join us in celebrating the love and joy our pets bring into our lives.
  • Welcome, this forum isn't exclusively for African Grey Parrots. While this is my primary focus due to personal experience—I had an African Grey Parrot who I sadly lost—in his memory, I launched this website. So, whether you have any type of pet, you're welcome here.
    Everyone is encouraged to read, write, and share knowledge with our forum members.

African Grey Parrot Wing Clipping

TiktokParrot

Administrator
Staff member
Will Clipping Wings Stop Your African Grey Parrot Talking?

African grey parrot wing clipping - should you or shouldn't you? Firstly Let me say there are 2 schools of thought here. one is that it is cruel to clip wings when a bird is meant to fly and the other that wing clipped birds are safer in our homes. You must make up your own mind which way you want to go.

For me having a Grey with clipped wings is better for the bird and for me.

Lets look at the good reasons for clipping.

Clipped wing birds can't fly into ceiling fans, fish tanks or out of an open window. So for safety and loss it is wise to clip wings.

Clipped wing birds are easier to train because they stay in one place for long enough to be able to be trained.

Clipped wing birds are more likely to stay where they are put, on a chair in the kitchen, while you prepare the supper, a play gym, a chair in the bathroom while you are taking a bath, wherever.

Clipped wing birds tend to do less damage in our homes, they can't get to places where interesting chewable things can be found. My parrot can't get to my precious pictures and photo frames, which is good for him, and for me !

There are other things to take into consideration too :

• Baby birds should never be clipped before they learn to fly, flying gives them confidence to do other things.
  • Clip your birds wings when he can get more than a few feet from where he is perched.
  • Have a professional clip your birds wings, only if you are totally confident that you will give a good cut should you do it yourself.
  • Remember to encourage your bird to flap his wings at every possible chance. If he is on your hand move it up and down. This will help keep chest muscles and wings healthy and strong.

Remember feathers will grow back at each molt, about every 6 months, so be watchful of how far your bird can go once he has taken off.

If at any time you change your mind and want your bird to be flighted, you wont have too long to wait before the feathers grow back and if you find that a flighted bird is just too much for you, you can clip straight away.

When considering African grey parrot wing clipping remember only a conservative clip is needed. They prefer climbing and swinging , walking and playing.

Make up your own mind and remember you can always change your mind, clipping doesnt hurt the bird, its like having a hair cut.

If you find this thread/post informative, feel free to share it with your family or friends as it might be helpful to them.

Stay safe!
Cheers!​

Back